Sunday, May 6, 2007

Birds and Bandanas


This is our outside yard man, Deus, who helps us deal with our yard and garden (flowers, tropical fruit, veggies, grass). They cut grass with a machete type thing here and no sprinkler systems, so now you know why we have a yard man. In this photo of our back yard with Lake Victoria behind, he is holding Flat Stanley, sent to me from my cousin's daughter for a elementary school project.

But anyway... recently, he told me he was having problems with the kites in our yard. No, not the kind that fly on a string, but the kind that helpfully swoop down and pick up mice and snakes with their talons. They were swooping to try and pick up his head apparently, maybe because of the shiny oil he puts in his hair, or maybe because they're just mean spirited. So he started wearing a hat.

On Friday, he forgot his hat, so I lent him a red bandana, which he tied on his head. About an hour later, he told me that a kite had stolen the bandana right off his noggin! He watched until the bird dropped it and in defeat, brought it back to me. I doubt he will again forget his hat! And it's a good reminder to me to keep the kids and ourselves in hats while outside too.

2 comments:

The Fanks said...

hi hills,

it's nice to see your blog. and, that's just plain good advice for us. beware the kites. or at least wear hats.

-joel

Rich and Jen said...

Unbelievable!! We have hawks in the neighborhood, but they certainly aren't that bold.