Monday, October 29, 2007

What to do with a flag?


I went to our little used clothing market to get some fabric to recover a chair some friends gave us, and came home with a much unexpected item. Isn't shopping like that? This is a 9'x5' flag (folded in half in the photo). I just couldn't believe that a huge American flag was randomly in our little market. It was pining for a new home and suffering a lack of appreciation and respect. I was trying to tell the sellers that I couldn't possibly use it and that they would never sell it to anyone here so I could get a good price on it. I don't think they really understood what they had. Anyway, this flag was just so sad and lonely that I had to rescue it. For five bucks!

Now the question is, what do I do with it? It's got a few rust stains, but is in good condition otherwise. It's too big for any of our walls, and I would never be so blatently American as to hang it from a pole in our yard - that wouldn't be too appreciated here. I could use it to make a quilt - denim on one side and flag on the back, but should I feel guilty for using it on a bed, particularly if I have to cut it up? So I need your creative thoughts. Help!!

2 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Maybe an awning for your porch to shade your from the African heat. That's all I got for you Kim.

Rich and Jen said...

Wow, that is a tough one. I'll keep thinking...