Monday, October 29, 2007

Time for a new kid already?


Now, don't get your hopes up by the title - I'm not pregnant. But I've just discovered a new Tanzanian folkloric anecdote. Our friend Rose saw Jack (10 months) sucking his toes this week. She told me that here, when a baby starts sucking his toes, then it's time for the mother to get pregnant again! Her mother got pregnant with Rose's younger sister when Rose was only 7 months old. Yikes! Particularly considering that he was sucking his toes at 5 months. Not to fear - we're not sold on this tradition.

Other families keep their kids 2 to 3 years apart, in other words for as long as the youngest is still nursing. We won't be sticking to that tradition either - no, I'm not making any statements about subsequent children - just saying that I don't think Jack will be nursing for 3 years!

2 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I love those Fuzzibunz diapers on Jack. Those are some funny folk traditions on child spacing.

The Fanks said...

Time for another baby, Kim.
I dare you.