Monday, November 9, 2009

The Oddities of Exercising in Tanzania

Let it first be stated that exercise for the sake of improving one's health is not really something people do here. You probably do not recall any Olympic track events with Tanzanians (although a few were there). This is because individual sport is not really a value here - soccer is. People spend so much energy hoeing fields, walking or biking to their jobs/school, carrying large buckets of water or bundles of sticks on their heads, and other sorts of labor, that they do not require additional exercise.

I think it is difficult for them to understand our more sedentary lifestyle and the fact that we do not want to be plump. The concept seems to be that rich people are heavier because they don't have to work physically, so weight is considered something to be admired. In spite of this a Westerner is still usually appalled when a Tanzanian compliments him/her with "Umenenepa!" (or You've become fat!)

Secondly, white people (wazungu) are also oddities here. So when a Tanzanian sees an mzungu (one white person) exercising, it's very unique for some people, and they are inclined to stare or ask questions, or even join in - especially kids. Having people comment and stare while one is exercising can be quite bothersome, and can you even imagine joining a total stranger walking or running in America? Last week I had a boy walk with me till I turned to go back home, and he had to occasionally run just to keep up. This week a car pulled up beside me, and the passenger asked me where I was going, if I needed a lift, and what about the dog!

I am walking about three days a week with our Rottweiler Ellie (purebreds are another oddity). On Saturdays, when they are not in school, I frequently have children follow me giggling and making comments. I have recently discovered the joy of realizing that the children are giggling about Ellie's "missing" tail instead of laughing at me! It is truly a relief to know I am not the brunt of the joke, and Ellie never seems to mind.

Using my iPod has also helped relieve some of the displeasure of exercising as I generally can't hear what people are saying about me or Ellie. I try to be cordial and return greetings, but I keep going instead of stopping for conversations with those who are inclined to ask more questions.

Finally, whereas last term I did all my walking on the dirt roads and was put off by cars, bikes, and heavy foot traffic, this term I am trying to stick to the trails in the hills behind our house. It's made a huge difference in my enjoyment of exercise as now I get to relish truly magnificent views of Lake Victoria and the surrounding hills. Plus I occasionally see turtles, monkeys, and rock hyraxes. And, the only traffic is the occasional person carrying a load of something to sell on their heads. Clearly, they're working much harder than I am, and that helps keep me in my place!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I can just imagine you with a gaggle of kids behind you making comments! hahaha!! Good job on exercising and keep it up!

Wendi Garland said...

Way to go Kim!!!