Monday, November 30, 2009

Holidays at the Hill House

The table set for Thanksgiving before the food and guests arrived. We had two of our American friends join us for a chicken lunch with all the typical side dishes except sweet potatoes.
The bouquet centerpiece. I cut these flowers from our garden earlier that morning and was pleased to find so many with fall colors. Below the vase I placed some flowers from our very tropical looking ornamental bananas - they're so heavy, and hang upside down, that I haven't figured out how to put them in a vase.
The kids decorated turkeys for each person's plate. Tessa insisted that I draw her turkey with a bow, eyelashes, and a skirt, but would not let me put on a beak! Instead she drew in a nose and smile - nothing quite like a cute turkey!
The pumpkin pie. We had extra dough that the kids wanted to play with. I had no Thanksgiving cookie cutters, but we figured that apples and chickens would do fine. I think they were the favorite part of the pie for the kids.
Apparently chicken does indeed have tryptophan because we all became quite drowsy after our lovely meal. Here are Dusty and Tessa napping on the back porch. It seems that only Tessa was pretending.
We are celebrating Advent in our home for the first time this year. I was thrilled to find a juniper bush next door that needed clipping, and three purple candles in our drawer. The green one has to substitute for the pink candle since we didn't have one. Before dinner we sing a Christmas carol and light the candle and talk about a Scripture passage leading up to the need for and birth of Jesus. The candle came in useful tonight when the electricity was shut off. Because we lack all the Christmas season broo-ha-ha that comes with the holidays in the States, it's nice to choose some elements we can still practice here that are festive but also instill a spiritual understanding of the season in our kids, and keep our focus on the Lord as well.
The Christmas wreath currently has frangipani blossoms on it which I will cycle out when they wither. I was very excited to find pine trees and pine cones on my walk today in one of the neighboring convents. The gardener happily let me take some cones home, although I'm sure he thought I was odd in spite of my effort to explain. I placed them on the Advent wreath and will follow suite with the door wreath when I can figure out how to attach them or when I run out of frangipani blossoms from my one little tree.

2 comments:

Christy Kroeker said...

What a beautiful table and center piece. I wish I could arrange flowers as well. The pie was great too. I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving.

Misty said...

Your holiday decor looks wonderful. I love, love, love the girly turkey.