Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How I Know My Kids are Missionary Kids:

1. They flew before they could walk. Ex: Tessa had been on 8 airplanes by the time she was 5 months old.Jack and Tessa in the airport before boarding a plane.

2. They have debates with their friends about where their "home" is. Tessa recently argued with her friend Harry who insisted she was from America while she insisted she was from Musoma.
3. They speak in Swahili and English and can still count in Spanish thanks to Sesame Street DVDs.Tessa and friends in their Swahili class

4. They are not bothered by having a whole fish on the plate before them. In fact, Tessa wanted to eat the eyes, and Jack called it "my Nemo" (from the animated movie) while biting into the tail.
5. 100% of their clothes are hand-me-downs or come from care packages.
With chameleons we found in the backyard; kids in care package clothes and shoes.

6. They're confused by the concept of socks. Aren't they for skating on our concrete floors?
7. They believe that all choirs dance and even dance with the choir when inspired.Joining the choir in late March

8. They know what to do with nothing.Nothing here = mud.

9. They make friends quickly and are almost flippant about saying good-bye.
The kids' good friend Naomi.

10. They have passports, and they're well used. Tessa's on her 2nd passport which has five pages full of stamps. Jack's passport has additional pages, 17 of which are full.

I recently attended a talk on missionary kid (MK) issues. We talked about the term "third culture kid" (TCK). A TCK is a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside their parents’ culture. It was interesting to review a list of the pros and cons of growing up as an MK. Here are some of them in no particular order.

Pros:
1. Less pressure to perform (smaller peer group and not barraged by sports, music, art classes, etc.)
2. Longer childhood
3. Well-read (not as many entertainment options)
4. Family grows closer
5. Creative with resources and time
6. Expanded world view
7. Adaptable and flexible

Cons:
1. Loss of extended family relationships (which is so much better now thanks to the internet and Skype)
2. Confused identities upon return to passport country - Where am I from? Why don't people understand me? What do I do in this situation?
3. Ignorance of American culture which leads to confusion and feeling like a misfit
4. Struggle to keep friends since they are accustomed to leaving or being left
5. They don't quite fit in when they're abroad or in their passport country. My kids aren't Tanzanians, but they're not really Americans either.

It seems that several of the challenges occur mostly when the family or MK is in their passport country or when the MK is functioning on the adult level. Our kids did great while we were in America although Jack was much more clingy than he otherwise would be.

I know for me it can be difficult to raise my kids in a place that I was not raised even though I have a lot of international experience under my belt. The only instance I can remember offhand was when I took the kids through the car wash in America thinking it would be as fun for them as it had been for me when I was a child. Instead, it left both children crying as though they were under alien attack.

Really, these things just touch on some of the issues related to MKs. What it makes me realize is that raising children overseas can have really great blessings and challenges. I truly hope that when my kids start facing some of the challenges, the Lord will grant us the wisdom to know how to help them along.

Did I mention they're handy to have around?

3 comments:

Rodger and Lynne Schmidt Mozambique said...

Kim and Dusty,

While we haven't faced all the challenges yet, our boys are a little further down the road than yours, developmentally speaking. we find them to be amazing, thoughtful, kind, compassionate, fun kids to be around. I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world! Hope this gives you great hope! Love, Lynne

paul merrill said...

Love LOVE posts like this, Kim & Dusty.

Christie said...

I'm here at my friend Christie's house and your blog was up...so naturally... I read it...very interesting stuff- that you just don't think about. I second your prayer that God would give you the wisdom and grace to deal with these challenges as they come...not to live in fear of them. I know He will be faithful. Thanks for posting the realities of your life there as well as your needs & wants. Bless you. Bless you. Bless you!!! (and yours) :)

-jcg