Sunday, December 9, 2007

Tanzanian Thanksgiving Turkey



We celebrated Thanksgiving here a bit more traditionally than we ever did in the States in that our table was spread with produce from local gardens and a FRESH turkey. Yes, Dusty went to some great effort to find a turkey, and fortunately we paid a local man about $3 to get it "presentable." I tried to get there to take a photo of the bird before he met his maker, but I was just a few seconds late. I told them I was hoping to take a live photo, so the man kindly offered to put the head back on! How funny is that? Anyway, that bird was a tasty treat for us in a place where turkey is definitely not common. About 15 missionaries all came together to share the holiday and we all pitched in to pay the $65 price tag, and let me tell you, it was well worth it, but I think we'll just stick with some roast chickens for Christmas.

No comments: