Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Ultimate Kidism List

Due to lack of time/energy I have not been as faithful with our email updates as I would have liked, but I have been collecting the kidisms from the past 3 months. So here they are, in full. Enjoy!


First, from our time in the Nairobi as the kids were adjusting to the wonders of urban life:

Jack, accustomed to bathing in a basin and watching the water drain down the bathtub: "Look! The water is sinking!"

Jack, on the first shopping trip: "Wow! A parking lot! Can we park here?!"

Kim, after Tessa prayed for the person passing us in an ambulance: "because one day it could be one of us." Tessa: "Oh, it will definitely be me." Us, shocked: "Why?" Tessa: "Because I am always blowing my nose!" (she had a rare cold at the time)

Jack, noticing the overhead car light is not working: "The car's umeme is off." (umeme = electricity, and at home in TZ, we have frequent reason to say "the umeme is off.")

Jack, hearing a car alarm: "Mama, what's that bird's name?"

Tessa, after a beggar knocked on our vehicle window:"Mama, is he rich?" Kim: "No, he's poor and was asking for money." Tessa: "Well, he should go to a bank to get money instead of asking us." (followed by a lengthy explanation of poverty and our response to the poor)

Tessa: "They should really get Chik-Fil-A in Nairobi." (Amen!!)

Jack: "Come see my dot com!" (the city he built from tracks, trains, and blocks on the floor)

Tessa: "God just told me how He wants me to serve Him!" Us: "Really? How?" Tessa: "He wants me to go to the playground tomorrow!"

Kim: "And we may have to wake you in the middle of the night if that's when the baby comes." Tessa: "Or the side of the night would be fine."

Jack to Tessa, who was playing with his toy: "Be fortunate with my helicopter!" (meaning: 'careful') Jack likes to use big words, even if he doesn't understand them.

While on vacation at a hotel on the coast of Kenya:
Tessa, pointing at a group of boys: "Mama, I like cute boys... like THAT one." Yikes!

Jack, after a conversation about baptism: "When we were in the ocean, I put my face in the water and baptized myself!"

Jack, in the restaurant after a meal: "Where's the sink?" We were confused why he wanted a sink and made an effort to get him to clarify. Turns out he wanted to take his dirty dish to the sink! Us: "Oh no Jack; these nice men will take our dishes for us!"

Kim: "..and we can take a boat tomorrow." (meaning the glass bottom boat at the hotel) Jack: "I would like to take a boat back to Musoma." The boy really missed his home!

And after we returned to Tanzania:

Jack: "I don't like you exasperated. I like you happy." (We had read a book earlier with an exasperated mother in it and had explained that word to the kids.)

Tessa: "...and then Jesus said the magic words, and the water turned into wine."

Jack: "Float like a butterfly, sting like a beaver." (should be 'bee')

Tessa, with arms spread partially: "I love you this much." Kim, with arms spread all the way: "Well, who do you love this much?" Tessa: "Cooper."

Dusty: "What's happening in Libya is so sad." Tessa: "Who's Olivia?"

Jack, whose fish taco was falling apart: "We need to put some tape on this taco."

Tessa while looking at things through the car window: "I'm a good-looker, aren't I?"

Tessa, after a previous conversation about getting engaged: "When I grow up and a man asks if I will marry him, I will DEFINITELY say yes!"

4 comments:

MattW said...

LOVED the one by Jack and the baptising... classic! You have me sold on keeping a record of what our children say one day! :-)

Erin said...

I love these! I can't wait to see those kids again!

Anonymous said...

"I'm a good-looker, aren't I?" Yes, Tessa you are, and I'm sure the cute boys will like you too! : )

Jan

Brad and Kim said...

These are the best! Keep them coming!