Monday, September 6, 2010

Come walking with me

Well, since you can't come walking with me, at least you can see some of the sights I see when I go on my morning walks/runs. I am hoping this will give you a better sense of what it looks like out here where we live - at least how it looks in the dry season.

I took my camera with me today for the first time, and God really made it worthwhile by bringing everyone out for a picture, beginning with:

Three Crested Cranes! I've never seen them in Musoma, so this was a real treat. I was actually taking a picture of a rock when I heard a shriek that startled me greatly - I expected it to be someone protesting my being there with a camera, but fortunately it was these three gorgeous visitors.


Here they are again in front of the aforementioned rock, which from the other side looks like a hand with a finger pointing to God - at least that's what I see when I look at it.


Musoma has many interesting rock formations. This one has two magnificent trees growing from it, and is frequented by mongooses, rock hyrax, and monkeys - all of whom Ellie (our small Rottweiler) loves to chase.


This sad looking hibiscus bush is why I brought my camera. The last time I passed it I thought about how pathetic it looked - beaten by the wind and sun, but especially destroyed by the mouse-birds who eat all its leaves. Yet in spite of very difficult circumstances, it has managed to still bloom every day.

Here are two of its beautiful pink, white, and red blooms. It made me think of how when we are in dry and difficult situations, the Lord can still produce goodness and beauty in our lives. What a great encouragement from a simple bush.


Occasionally on my walks and runs I get to see monkeys, so this morning I was delighted to see this little guy way up on top of a rock. After the glory of the cranes I figured my wildlife sightings were over, so the monkey was a nice surprise. If you look hard enough, you'll see him. Or her. It is a vervet monkey.


And the wildlife kept on coming as I passed this tiny tortoise making its way down the trail. We see them frequently, and I never tire of them.


Another interesting rock formation forming the background of the nearest cemetery. I occasionally see people here tending the graves of their loved ones. I imagine the graves are very difficult to dig in this site with all the rocky soil.


I'm usually on the trail about 45 minutes, and because it is a small trail I usually pass between 7 - 15 people. Usually at least one of them is on a bicycle carrying a burden to town. Today there were two cyclists - this man with a wide load of sticks, and another young fellow with a massive bag of cassava, which is used to make the staple for all Tanzanian meals, ugali.


Because the trail goes through farmers' fields, I often pass ladies and children carrying loads of produce on their heads. Today was no exception. Every time I pass someone, Swahili greetings are offered by all.


After passing the three ladies, Ellie and I ran into a group of about 25 goats and two small shepherd boys. I longed to take their photo but rarely do because that action can very easily be offensive to Tanzanians (thus the former two shots of people from the back). I passed straight through the goats while Ellie avoided them entirely before we ran headfirst into three cows followed by two more older boys.

The above picture is of Lake Victoria as I approach our compound's gate.


Finally, I make it to our house after enjoying a nice long walk in a sunny and dry land. Thanks for joining me!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the walking tour, Kim!

Jeannette said...

Hi :) My name is Jeannette Gerth. I am SO excited to have found your blog!! Our family is in the partnership development phase with Wycliffe right now and our assignment is in Musoma with the Mara cluster project. We are hoping to have full support and leave for language school in Tanzania in January of 2012. We have 3 small children and one on the way (due in about 3 weeks). I have received some info regarding living conditions and what to pack from the branch and from there was referred to your blog. I've been excited to make a contact with someone there! I've so enjoyed looking at your blog :) Thanks for posting and I look forward to following and Lord willing to meet you in the future!