Saturday, May 22, 2010

Conversations in the Animal World

This afternoon we were surprised that Ellie did not meet us at the gate when we got home from doing errands in town. A minute later we heard her barking in the backyard, and we recognized it as the type of barking that means business with another animal. She was having a little chat with a kenge (monitor lizard). Kenge occasionally come for social visits. We like them. Ellie doesn't so much.

Ellie: "I'm howling at you so you know how I feel."
Kenge: "If I stand on my tiptoes, you'll think I'm really big."


Ellie: "Sorry for the sudden invitation, but would you like to come to my bowl for dinner?"
Kenge: "Um, no..."


Kenge: "But I do love to tango."
Ellie: "Oh, me too!"


Ellie: "Hey! Don't turn your back on me! You get back here! Last chance for dinner..."
Kenge: "I've really had enough of this. Where's the exit?"


Ellie: "Fine. Whatever."
Kenge: "Whatever. See you next time."

Having had the vet out here this morning to give Ellie her rabies vaccination, we decided we didn't want to call him again to come out to give her stitches or pop her eye back in place, so we called Ellie off the kenge and are hoping that by now, the kenge has found his way out of the yard. Plus, we like live kenge, not dead ones.

By the way - how great is it that the veterinarian, on one day's notice, will come out to our house on his motorcycle, stay for tea, give Ellie a shot, and the whole thing costs about $1.25?

1 comment:

Erin said...

those pictures are awesome! i was a little nervous just looking at them, so I'm surprised you had the presence of mind to take pictures! haha!