Tuesday, November 6, 2007

kuni (firewood)



You might remember seeing Tessa carrying her dolly on her back the same way Rose, our househelper, carries Jack. Well, here's the most recent development on raising our little African-Americans. Rose came out to gather firewood with her daughter and neighbor, which they use for cooking between 3 rocks holding the pot. Tessa watched as I took photos to show all you great folks at home who buy neat bundles of firewood at the local grocery store and toss them in an SUV for cozy evenings by the fireplace. (and wouldn't I love to join you on a chilly evening?)

Anyway, the next thing I know Tessa's doing a bit of her own gathering, and by the look on her face, she's still trying to figure out how they do it. Me too! It's amazing to see huge buckets of water, benches, or trays of fish or fruit all balanced on someone's head! Then again, I've actually seen one lady with just a bar of soap on her head - now I think even I could manage that one. My favorite is seeing someone with a roller suitcase on the head - isn't that what the wheels are for?!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! I can't believe that huge bundle of wood is balanced on her head! A very impressive skill and one that I'm going to require you to accomplish before furlough!

Carrie said...

always great to reflect on how our life here in the states is so different and yet also so taken for granted! i am amazed by all that you are getting to see and do...and i agree with erin...we look forward to some show and tell during furlough!